Sunday, March 14, 2010

Spring time industriousness

After a relaxing time in Poland (at least for me), we got back this weekend to the house with a renewed energy (helped by the fact that most of what's left is the fun stuff).

But, first, for some less fun news. The day after I discovered the frog eggs, the pond froze over:
From Briar Crescent

I am not optimistic enough to hope for little tadpoles this year. But, there's always next year (and hopefully the frog who laid these eggs has learned her lesson! The end of February is not a good time to lay eggs, my friend...)

Better news: L. has finished his plastering work in the hallway.
From Briar Crescent

From Briar Crescent
From Briar Crescent

It looks brilliant and is even more impressive considering he was working with a trowel with a broken handle (plastic handled trowel + hiding under dust sheet + clumsy foot = much sadness for all).

My big project for Saturday was to make - yes, make - a new clothing rail for the little bedroom. Our previous £8-at-Woolworth's rail had suffered much abuse and had a tendency to twist and collapse at the slightest provocation. We had to resort to propping it up using other bits of furniture, and I'd had enough with sorting out a tangled mess of clothing items, hangers, and rail. So, I came up with the brilliant plan to make one, using spare bits of board.
The materials:
From Briar Crescent

The labour:
From Briar Crescent

The finished product:
From Briar Crescent

From Briar Crescent

It's not ideal and I'm a bit disappointed that it's not the marvel of stability and beauty I had pictured in my head, but it was practically free and it seems to be doing it's job without collapsing.

Today, I focused my energies on cleaning and organising - starting with the closet.
From Briar Crescent

It might not look too impressive, but I'll claim that's only because I was too ashamed to take a 'before' picture.
Also, the stairs are now [mostly] devoid of tools, paint, and junk mail, which should make nighttime visits to the bathroom less hazardous.
From Briar Crescent

And finally, the door! We have been struggling for a very long time with the door between the hallway and the lounge. I hated the varnish the previous owners had put on it, L. wasn't a fan of the colour I painted it when he was away. We tried sanding it, but it was a cruel and grueling job with our cheap B&Q hand sander. So, the door sat in the closet and we sat in a drafty lounge. Until last week. Finally, we settled on a colour and hung that beautiful door.
From Briar Crescent

(in place, half sanded)
Now, in all its glory:
From Briar Crescent
From Briar Crescent

From Briar Crescent

No comments:

Post a Comment