Tuesday, June 1, 2010

On hedges

The goals for this past weekend were:
1) Tell the fish again that I'm sorry and I hope they have plenty of food and water now; and
2) Trim the hedge.

The hedge, pre-trim
From Briar Crescent

As you can see, things got a little out of hand when we were away
From Briar Crescent

It looked especially shabby since the next door neighbours have sculpted theirs into a near-perfect wall of shrubbery. So, the competition was on, and I got out my trusty gardening sheers and set to work...
Before:
From Briar Crescent

After:
From Briar Crescent
From Briar Crescent

In the interest of honesty, I have to admit my efforts have turned out a bit more lumpy than our next door neighbours', but I would also like to point out that they have a special electric hedge trimmer (instead of my mad snip-snip-snipping). I would also like to point out that clipping ones hedge by hand is very therapeutic and if a slightly-more organic hedge is what it takes to get to a relaxed, zen-like state, I will accept the few stray branches happily.

And because I was feeling so relaxed after the hedge-trimming, the bush got a bit of a hair cut, too:
From Briar Crescent

No comments:

Post a Comment